Preparing for the genital operation
Preconditions for the operation
- You have stopped smoking;
- You have a healthy weight (BMI value > 18 and ≤ 30);
- You are able to urinate properly (good urinary function);
- For urethra extension, your vagina needs to have been removed
Good urinary function
Removal of the vagina (colpectomy) in preparation for the urethral extension
Additional preconditions phalloplasty
- Your donor skin should not be too thick and must be well perfused.
- Your donor skin must be depilated
Thickness and perfusion of the donor skin
Depilation of the donor skin
- Phalloplasty fully created from skin taken from the forearm (shaft and urethra): an area of around 4 by 17 cm on the ulnar side (little finger side) must be depilation (see Figure 2).
- Only creating the urethra from the forearm: this requires depilation of an area of around 4 by 17 cm on the radial side (thumb side) (see Figure 3).
This text was edited on 7-10-2022
We recommend that you go through all the information step by step to get a complete picture of the different treatment options and the process around them!
Back to overview